How does the architectural design process work?
Constructing and designing a building from scratch is quite complex; therefore, step-by-step planning is required. Planning out each step in an architectural design process is mandatory, and breaking them into smaller tasks for easy completion. The Architects follow a similar strategy to design a building. The Architecture industry follows the Five Phases of Architecture, introduced by the American Institute of Architects, to deliver the project better. The following are the Five Phases of Architecture:
- Schematic Design - This phase involves the initial discussions between the designer and the clients about the project’s scope, functionality, and purpose. After this discussion, the Architect moves on to conduct a field survey and draft designs for the clients to choose from.
- Design Development - In this phase, the architect gets the design confirmed by the client and starts working on the building’s structural details, like choosing the right type of materials and also the placements of the doors and windows. This being the last phase, the architect allows the clients to make any last-minute changes.
- Construction Documents - By the time this phase begins, the architect has already fixed the design and begins to work on the blueprints of the construction, permit applications, and other such things for the project. The architect keeps in mind the specifications of the client while creating the documents.
- Bidding - It is the simplest of all steps and the phase where the Designer helps the clients identify the best construction company. It is highly beneficial for the client to have a designer with them during this process, for the designer will make it easy for them by providing a list of constructors and submitting bids to the bidders.
- Construction Administration - The entire documentation is complete in this phase, and the construction contractor selection is also done. In this phase, the client and the architect are allowed to visit the site and make required changes in the site.
What are the 7 types of architects?
There are various types of architects who take up a different types of projects. The following are the major types of architects:
- Residential Architects
- Commercial Architects
- Landscape Architects
- Interior Design Architects
- Urban Design Architects
- Green Design Architects
- Industrial Architects
What is Residential Architects?
They are responsible for taking up residential projects. They collaborate with the house owners and help in customizing their houses accordingly. They also collaborate with home builders and developers.
What is Commercial Architects?
They are responsible for commercial purposes, including hotels, office buildings, schools, and much more. They are responsible for multi-unit residential buildings and skyscrapers.
What is Landscape Architects?
They are primarily responsible for designing outdoor spaces like parks, gardens, and other recreational areas.
What is Interior Design Architects?
These types of architects are responsible for designing a building’s interiors. They try to analyze the interiors and make them look aesthetic and appealing.
What is Urban Design Architects?
They are responsible for designing an entire neighborhood or a building. They will plan out the design for an entire block and plan much in advance to achieve proper results.
What is Green Design Architects?
They design a house or other building structure using completely environment-friendly techniques.
What is Industrial Architects?
These Architects are responsible for designing an Industrial space like a factory, industry, and much more. They plan well before working to properly place heavy and big metals.
Should I use an Architect or Builder?
To construct a house properly and aesthetically, you need to hire both the Architect and the builder. While a builder is responsible for the building and constructing your house, the architect is responsible for designing it. An architect drafts the plan first and hands them over to the builders to design the house. A good design plan makes things more convenient, functional, easy, and simple, and the architect does this. Sometimes a builder may help suggest designs, but an architect does it more professionally.
How much does an architect cost to design a house in Khammam?
It will cost around Rs. 60,000 to Rs. 9, 00,000 approximately for a 1500sq.ft area. It also depends on the design you choose and the available materials in the market.The architect fee depends on various factors, and some of them include the following:Schematic Drawing, Floor plans, Elevation designs, Working and structural drawings, Electrical works, Plumbing works, Sewage planning.
What is the difference between a home designer and an architect?
There are quite a lot of differences between an architect and a home designer and the following are some of the common differences:
- An Architect is well educated and trained in various skills in designing theories, project management, engineering, and problem-solving. Whereas a Home Designer need not necessarily be educated or trained to take up designing projects.
- Architects must procure a proper license to practice, while a Home Designer need not have one. Architects can take up different projects like airports, hospitals, factories, residential places, and other public spaces, whereas a Home Designer only takes up house projects.
- While an architect is responsible for the structure of a building, a home designer is mostly responsible for the interiors.
- Though both the Architects and the Home Designers help the clients in meeting their needs and vision by using computer-aided designs and design tools, an Architect always charges higher than the Home Designer.
How long should an architect take?
To achieve an excellent architectural design, it takes some amount of time. First, the architect has to design the plan's first draft, which will take around 20 – 30 hours. This includes the time the architect spends researching for the project, frequent meet-ups with the clients, and drafting the floor plans. The architect also spends much time discussing with the clients and getting to know their needs to meet them adequately. However, starting from the initial consultation to the submission of the construction documents, it will take around 4 – 5 months the competition of the entire process.
What should you not forget when building a new house?
Building up a new house requires a lot of effort and time. While you are at it, do not forget to do some small things like the following:
- Make sure to have an experienced, trustworthy, and professional team of contractors, Designers, architects, and consultants. They help you build your house faster and save you a lot of money.
- The next important thing is to know what you need. You should be able to draft a proper plan to explain it to the team properly for them to achieve it.
- Plan out your budget and the basic necessities accordingly. Try to remain committed to the planned budget till the end of your project.
- Get all your permissions and licenses approved well in advance.
- Finalize the color scheme of your house, the elevation and floor plans, placement of doors and windows, flooring, roofing, and much more.
- Start the construction process only after finalizing the layout and design planning. Avoid any last-minute revisions and changes in the plan.