DTH Services - A walkthrough
DTH stands for ‘Direct to Home’. India has the highest number of DTH subscribers in the world. DTH, with its digital satellite services, was able to reach the remote areas in the country. The subscribers install a dish which receives the signals and broadcast the transmission on the television sets. As the signals are digital, the subscriber receives top-notch quality directly delivered to their television sets. Some of the unique features of DTH services are:
- Impressive resolution
- Wide Angle Aspect Ratio
- Enhanced picture quality (Dolby)
- Incredible audio quality (Dolby)
- Option to view the HD channel
Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India or TRAI manages the telecommunication industry in India. It passed a new law which has ended the package channel system. Now a subscriber can choose the channels he or she prefers.
Booking DTH connection
Before you book your DTH connection, select your set-top device.
- Standard set-top box – With this device, you can access all standard definition channels. This service is cheaper in comparison to the HD service.
- HD set-top box – If you want high-definition picture quality, you will need this device. It is priced higher than the standard box.
Once you select a suitable DTH service, you will have to book the connection. You can either make the booking online or take help from a service provider to walk you through the registration process.
Plans & comparison of DTH brands
The top 7 providers are:
- Airtel Digital TV – They have a vast number of subscribers throughout India. They have multiple regional channels and offer HD services. You can record your favourite shows and watch later at leisure. One can avail discounted prices for multiple connections. The reception quality is remarkable, and weather disturbances do not interrupt the service.
- Dish TV – It is the oldest DTH service provider, started by ZEE TV. They ensure the best experience for viewers by regularly upgrading their services. It is affordable and includes key features such as child lock, games and interactive TV.
- Reliance Digital TV – Available all over India, Reliance digital TV offers a wide range of channels and additional facilities such as watching paid movies. This DTH service provider is known for excellent viewer feedback. Many customers prefer multiple connections from Reliance Digital TV in addition to their primary connections.
- Tata Sky -In collaboration with 20th century FOX, Tata Sky - one of the most sought after services, launched DTH facilities. In addition to offering a splendid audience experience, they provide viewers with a complete entertainment solution.
- Videocon D2H – known for its sound quality, videocon determines and offers a lot of options when it comes to choosing your set-top box. You can choose from a wide variety of channels and avail discounts.
- Sun Direct – Being a regional service provider, Sun Direct has earned a name for itself. As of now, they provide service only in South India. English and Hindi packages are also available.
- DD Free Dish or DD Direct Plus – The service was launched by Prasar Bharati. It is free of cost. However, the subscriber needs to pay a nominal installation charge. This service provider comes from a trusted name, Doordarshan. However, they do not have a variety of channels to choose from.
If you are looking for a cinematic viewing experience without any disruption or glitch, then choose a DTH service. The advanced technology and satellite reception take TV watching to a whole new level of delight.