UK Education Consultants in Bangalore- How to Study Engineering Abroad
- The United Kingdom is amongst the leading countries to start modern education and has been evolving its education system to help engineering students learn the most innovative and practical-oriented skills.
- If you are aspiring to study engineering in the UK, it is essential you know the requirements for a 12th pass-out Indian student and the courses offered before beginning the application process.
- Colleges in the UK offer hundreds of specializations in engineering for subject areas like Aerospace, Applied engineering, Automotive engineering, Civil engineering, Electric and Electronics, Mechanical, Lighting, and Computer science engineering.
- Students graduating from top engineering colleges of the UK can expect to earn anywhere around 25 Lakh INR to 50 Lakh INR per annum (for full-time employees) and are hired by world-leading and top companies including Aston Martin, Airbus, BMW Group, Babcock, Jaguar, and Land Rover, Mercedes, Kier Group, Network Rail, Siemens, Rolls Royce, Thales group, Transport for London, Coca Cola Enterprises UK, Unilever, Nestle, GSK (pharmaceuticals).
- The two main types of engineering programs offered in top UK universities are B.Eng (Bachelor of Engineering) and M.Eng (Master of Engineering).
- B.Eng is a standard 3-year degree in engineering. It is a comprehensive engineering course that allows candidates to apply and become an Incorporated Engineer after the completion of the course.
- An M.Eng degree is a university-level qualification taken by students wishing to become Chartered Engineers. Some colleges allow students to switch from B.Eng to M.Eng. The course can take a minimum of 4 years to up to 5 years for those wishing to conduct one year's work experience.
Top Universities for Engineering in the UK
- Top engineering universities in the UK offer traditional engineering courses such as civil, electrical, electronic engineering, and mechanical to some of the most innovative and modern engineering streams like robotics, aircraft maintenance engineering, and lighting design technology.
- The universities primarily focus on imparting quality education to international students and set the benchmark for employee standards that unlock doors to high-level jobs not only in the UK but also in other parts of the world.
- Specialized courses and world-class faculty help build these standards and accreditations in UK’s engineering colleges.
List of Top Engineering Colleges in the UK
- University of Cambridge
- University College London (UCL)
- University of Oxford
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Manchester
- Imperial College London
- University of Nottingham
The eligibility criteria for each course varies with the university. However, the most common requirements are- Students must score at least 60% or more in their 10th and 12th, to get admission in top universities. Students can opt for foundation courses if they have scored less than 60%.
PG Engineering Courses:
Students must score a minimum of 50% in their bachelor’s degree from a reputed college in their engineering or related course. Students who have less than 50% score in their UG can opt for pre-master courses in UK.
We recommend that you check the eligibility criteria with the desired institution thoroughly before making your application. Top counsellor and career guides can help you with fulfilling all the requirements necessary for a successful admission.
Indian students aspiring to study Engineering from top universities and colleges in the UK must meet the basic eligibility requirements that are mentioned below:
- Typical International Baccalaureate requirements: 35 points.
- Typical A-levels requirements: AAB including mathematics and physics.
- Typical IELTS requirements: 7.0 overall, with no lower than 6.5 in any one component
Documents and Application Process
- Class XII certificate with a minimum of 60% marks.
- Proof of academic achievements, including official school transcripts
- SAT scores (optional)
- ACT scores (optional)
- Academic reference
- Evidence of funds: that include pay for the tuition fees and monthly living costs for the first year of the course in the UK.
- Statement of Purpose to study in UK (400-500 words) (optional)
Indian students are required to apply for a student visa to study in the UK. A Tier 4 general student visa is processed for international students who are more than 16 years of age. To successfully apply for a Students Visa, you must have the below mentioned:
- Course confirmation.
- VISA application
- Immigration health service charge
- Recent passport size photos.
- Passport details.
- Letter of recommendation to study in UK
- Criminal record certificate.
- Financial proof of having sufficient funds to sustain the first year of your stay and tuition fee in the UK.
- The unconditional written permission of the sponsor to the VISA application.