Benefits of pursuing MS in Canada
- International exposure and a global perspective through the study body in Canada that is the most diverse in the whole world, consisting of people representing 200 nationalities
- Favorable government policy that allows the Canadian Tertiary education sector to attract high levels of government spending and makes it rank top on OECD (The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development) countries for state backing for higher education
- Canada offers some of the best post-work opportunities, especially after MS that allows candidates to get a post-graduation work visa that makes them eligible to work in the country for at least two years or the exact duration of your study program
- Quality of life and security in Canada is extremely high, offering a safe and stable environment to study.
- Australian universities induce practical knowledge and equip you with world-class industry skills.
- Being a multicultural nation with two official languages, i.e., English and French, Canada is a haven for international students with no culture shock and accepting diversity like no other country.
How to Study MS in Canada
If you're planning to do Master's courses in Canada, prepare to be spending at least a year or two because most of them are designed to be a full-time study program. While the eligibility criteria vary for every institution and course, here we have listed some of the most common requirements to study MS in Canada:
- A Masters's in Science degree gives you the edge needed to stand out in the international and competitive job market.
- Canada is amongst the best in providing world-class higher education, and their courses are accredited to give you a professional head start in your chosen field or a step up to the next level. Being the world's favorite education destination for higher studies, the Canadian government is witnessing a wave of international migrants, and university seats are in huge demand.
- The average tuition fee in universities offering MA degrees in Canada is around 18,00,000 INR per year, which is significantly less than other education destinations like the UK, US, or Australia. Most colleges and universities are now offering scholarships and international sponsors to cut costs and provide Indian students with affordable study abroad options.
- At least 16 years of educational experience within India or abroad and a minimum 3.0 GPA in UG.
- A two-year master's degree is necessary if you have three years of bachelor's degree. Although, few institutions also accept three-year bachelor's degrees when a student has an educational experience of 15 years
- An overall score of at least 6.5 in English-language proficiency tests such as IELTS.
- Most institutions will require you to submit GRE results. A minimum score of 260 and above is recommended.
- Most Canadian business schools ask for a minimum score of 650 in the GMAT exam for Masters in management.
Top Universities for MS in Canada
The Universities of Canada are known for their world-class education system that prepares you to take on real-life work scenarios, offering a wide range of specialization for students and degrees recognized across the globe. Studying in Canada is deemed the best experience socially and career-wise for international students.
- University of Toronto
- McGill University
- University of Montreal
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta
- McMaster University
Exams to Study MS Abroad
Study MS in Canada as an Indian international student will require you to undertake specific standardized examinations and tests to be eligible to look at the University of your choice. These are the exams recognized and accepted by the Universities of Canada:
For international students to be eligible to apply for universities in Canada, if you are from any non-native English-speaking country, including India, you need to score between a 6 - 7 band IELTS score.
For MS in Canada, most colleges appreciate a 700+ score in the GMAT, and a score of over 163/780 in the quantitative section of the GRE test is expected by international students.
Canada Visa Process
After getting your acceptance letter from the university, you may proceed to the next step: applying for a student visa, also known as a study permit.
- Go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website to apply for your student visa before arriving in Canada.
- You can submit visa application documents by post or online.
- The Canadian government must recognize the university offering acceptance for allowing international students.
- Show proof of sufficient funds to support your studies and living expenses in Canada.
- Certificate from the local judiciary to prove you have no criminal record.
- The complete medical report that states your current health status.
The study permit expires in 90 days once your course is finished. You can then apply for a post-study work permit, which allows you to take a full-time or part-time job or even be self-employed.